Surgery is scheduled for Thursday August 25th at Hoboken University Medical Center in New Jersey with a pre-op appointment in Manhattan at their Park Avenue office the day before. If it didn’t feel real before, it does now. 

I tell people all the time that I first thought going to see an RE was overkill. I was completely prepared to become pregnant with the first clomid attempt and be embarrassed, wondering what all the fuss was about. 

And here we are. 

3 clomid attempts, 2 IVF attempts and multiple specialists later, still no baby. 

This was definitely not in the plan I had envisioned for myself, but it is my reality. I try hard to not look back and think what if, but instead look forward to what next. 

The plan is to arrive in Newark on Tuesday night and get settled in our hotel in Hoboken. Wednesday we will take a taxi into Manhattan. This Texas girl is not used to the fact that you can enter another state within 3 miles. It will be a 6.6 mile trip, but take a 1/2 hour. Pre-op is scheduled for 1:30pm Wednesday. The surgery is scheduled for 10:30am Thursday morning. The average length of surgery is 1.5 hours. I’ll have a few hours of recovery time and then back to the hotel to chill the next day and a half. No flying for at least 24 hrs after anesthesia and light activity for 5-6 days post-op. 

There is paperwork to complete and get back to them. The lady who schedules the procedures said not to be surprised to have the surgeon call me directly if he has any questions and also gave me his cell number. 

On top of getting all this scheduled, my puppy was not feeling well this morning. I left for work hoping that she would be her usual self by the time I arrived home, but at that point, she wasn’t even using her back legs, dragging herself as she moaned and shook. It was heartbreaking and I was in tears trying to figure out what to do. I called my mom and then the husband, who, as I mentioned in a previous post, is working 4 hours away for the next year building student housing for a university. 

We got to the pet hospital about 7pm. After getting her checked in, an initial exam by the vet and then bloodwork, it was discovered that she has pancreatitis. She was very dehydrated, so they are keeping her overnight on IV fluids, pain pills and an antibiotic. I got home about 8:30. I had planned on making lasagna tonight, but instead ended up with cheese, crackers, peppered salami, a few olives and a glass of wine. 

I’m supposed to pick up Pepper tomorrow morning at 7am and then take her to our regular vet to follow up. 

Say a quick prayer for Pepper if you get a chance.